Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I ♥ the Strand

My haul from the Strand this week: 
I know the picture isn't the clearest, so here are the titles:
  • George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss
  • Aphra Behn, Oroonoko, The Rover, and Other Works
  • Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence
  • David Benioff, The City of Thieves 
  • Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children
  • Philip Roth, I Married a Communist
  • Christine de Pizan, The Book of the City of Ladies
I did very well sticking to my list of books I want to tackle soon for various challenges and my book club. The only impulse buy was the Philip Roth. I was looking for the Rushdie and found I Married a Communist. It's one of Roth's Zuckerman novels. I read American Pastoral a couple years ago and LOVED it. This is related, I guess, although I'm not sure exactly the connection. Whatever. Hopefully it will be good, especially as it was one of the more expensive books (and the only one whose price I didn't check, or course!). All in all, the damage wasn't too bad. Seven books for just over sixty bucks.

On a related note, one of my friends posted this video on facebook yesterday. I was pretty excited, since I had literally been at the Strand like an hour earlier. I thought the video was really cute, and did a good job revealing, and maybe poking a bit of fun at, NYC's book culture. Of course, non-NYCers should find plenty to enjoy, too!


2 comments:

stujallen said...

city of theives is a real page turner I read it in a couple of days funny and sad in a way like aworld war two catch 22 ,all the best stu

MJ said...

@stu: that one's for my book club! I hope I like it, as I think I'm slated to run the discussion.