Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Salon: Read-a-thon Wrap Up

Yesterday I participated in my first read-a-thon, and it was a lot of fun. It was the perfect time for me to do something like this, because my bar results come out tomorrow, and I'm kinda stressing about them. The ability to ignore what's going on in my head and just concentrating on some fun books was really, really nice.


I didn't stay up all night, or read for the entire day, but I did get some serious reading done. Here's my end of event wrap-up survey.
  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? 24? Not that I stayed up all night, but I planned on waking up and reading for the final hour, so I could say I'd read in both hour 1 and 24. I didn't end up waking until after the end of the read-a-thon, but I did wake up and finish the book I was working on when I went to bed last night.
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I really liked reading Tamora Pierce's Immortals series. I'd think any of her books would be good choices.
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope!
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I thought it was very well run.
  5. How many books did you read? Two entire books, plus parts of two more, including one I finished this morning after the readathon.
  6. What were the names of the books you read? Completed: Emperor Mage, Tamora Pierce; Aya of Yop City, Marguerite Abouet. Worked on: Maps, Nuruddin Farah; The Realm of the Gods, Tamora Pierce (now complete)
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? The Realm of the Gods
  8. Which did you enjoy least? I enjoyed them all! although I was disappointed that Aya ended on such a cliffhanger, and I don't know if I can get the third book :-(
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? I was not a Cheerleader
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'd definitely participate again. Certainly as a reader, and possibly as an official cheerleader or a mini-challenge host.
I'll probably read a bit more today. I've got another graphic novel checked out from the library, Americus, by MK Reed, that I planned to get to during the read-a-thon. Plus, I still want to finish Maps, and I've only got about 50 pages left.

What are your reading plans for today? Or are you wiped out from too much yesterday?

8 comments:

dollycas aka Lori said...

Read-a-thons can be so much fun. I didn't join this one because my newest grandchild is due and I was afraid I wouldn't have much reading time, but alas we are still waiting.
Have a great week!!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I'm new to participating (officially), so I was pleased at my results, even though I fell into bed, exhausted, at an early hour (9:00 p.m.). My eyes were red and itchy...sigh.

Congrats on your progress!

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

Nose in a book said...

Good to see you had a great readathon. I wasn't able to take part this weekend but I love readathons. It's so luxurious to be able to put everything else aside and just read.

Vasilly said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself during the read-a-thon. I read Americus a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Happy reading.

Too Fond said...

This was my first Read-a-Thon, too, and I think I'll be better prepared next time. There's definitely an art to choosing the right kind of book that will carry you the distance.

Harvee said...

I didn't join the Read-a-Thon as I had too many chores to do! Glad to hear you got so much done!

Kimberly @ Midnight Book Girl said...

It looks like you had a good readathon! It feels good to finish some books and the chanllenges are so much fun!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Congrats on your first readathon!! I'm a total readathon nut and was sad that I had to sit this one out. And good luck with the bar results.

And and...thanks for signing up for my Pinterest challenge! ;)