Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday Salon: Scenes that Stick with You

Good Sunday morning, everyone! I haven't participated in the Sunday Salon in several weeks, but I've been thinking a bit about this topic lately and was interested in hearing some of your thoughts on it.

Do you have scenes from books that remain in the recesses of your memory, resurfacing whenever someone mentions the source book, or when you see something that triggers a reminder? I do, and I'd guess that most other readers do, too.

For example:

Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery: When Anne is just begging for big puffy sleeves on her dress, and the image of sleeves getting so big that wearers will have to turn sideways to walk through doors.

mitocondria!
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee: This is, I know, book blogger heresy, but I don't actually like TKAM. I know I've read it at least twice, but I really can't remember much of the book. I just remember not liking it. I do remember the one scene with the town drunk, who reveals to Scout that the drink hidden by his brown paper bag isn't alcohol at all. Why is that the scene that stuck with me? I have no idea.

A Wind in the Door, Madeline L'Engle: When the kids go inside Charles Wallace's mitocondria - how fricken' cool would that be? All the noises and time slowing down and such.

A Heart So White, Javier Marias: The woman on the sidewalk in Cuba with the knife-like heels waiting, waiting, for her lover.

Share some the scenes that have stuck with you!

2 comments:

dollycas aka Lori said...

No scenes pop into my head right this instant but I know exactly what you mean. You have giving me something to ponder today, lol.


Have a great week!!

Here's my Sunday:http://www.escapewithdollycas.com/2012/07/15/sunday-salon-rain-rain-come-this-way-recap-mail-call/

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

In Little Women, which I read several times in childhood and then again a couple of years ago: there is the scene where Amy puts a clothespin on her nose, hoping her nose will change its shape.

Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST