Monday, December 31, 2012

NYE Readathon

Picky Girl's NYE read-a-thon
Picky Girl's NYE Readathon
My lovely boss decided to close the office today,
and I tend to lay low on New Year's Eve, so I had planned to get some end of the year reading in today.

When I saw that Jenn over that The Picky Girl was hosting a NYE Readathon, and the relaxed rules meant I could join in at will, I figured, why not?

I've already finished one book today - Octavia Butler's Wild Seed. I had wanted to read some Butler this year. My first book by her was Kindred, back in October. Her books aren't what I'd usually read, but they are compelling in their own way. I'm sure I'll be reading more from her in the future.

I'll be updating this post throughout the day as I continue to read. And join in if you're so inclined!

1:13 Update: I've been trying to knock out a chunk of Midnight's Children. I took a break for lunch, and now to go to the grocery store.

2:36 Update: Back from the store, groceries put away, about to start reading again, this time on the porch (perks of living in Florida). Also. Jenn's got a mini questionnaire that fits right in with my update break:

1) Have you napped yet? Or are you still going strong? Well, I guess you could consider that I napped from midnight until 6:30ish, when my alarm went off this morning.

2) Do you have a favorite book if 2012? If so, what is it? Oh, dear. A favorite? Looking back at what I read, I'd probably have to call a tie between Edwidge Danticat's memoir Brother, I'm Dying and Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God.

3) Any reading goals for 2013? More books in translation! I really slacked off this year.

4) Is anyone listening to any audiobooks? Maybe, but not me ;-)

5) What book are you most excited about in 2013? I haven't thought that far ahead yet!

Tuesday morning wrap up:

Well, I didn't read as much as I'd hoped, but I did finish one book, and I read 130 pages of Midnight's Children. I got up this morning and read some more of it, and the end is finally in sight. I have no idea what it was about this book that had me struggling so. I am going to make it the first book I finish in 2013! Happy reading, all!

3 comments:

picky girl said...

Excellent! You have high aspirations. I've never "officially" done a readathon, but I've heard people say you should mix it up, so my stack is very...varied. :)

Vasilly said...

I've just joined the read-a-thon too. Happy reading!

ImageNations said...

All the best. I don't know my immediate plans.